Spotlight on Israel
- The Dead Sea is the lowest geographical place ON EARTH.
- Israel has TWO official languages: Hebrew and Arabic.
- The population in Israel was last recorded at 7.2 million people: 75.8 percent are Jews, 19.9 percent are Arabs (mostly Muslim) and the remaining 4.3 percent include Druze, Circassians, and others not classified by religion.
- Israel is tiny: It is only 1/6 of 1% of the landmass of the Middle East.
- Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.
- The currency is the New Israeli Shekel. Currently, there are 382 NIS to the American dollar.
- Israeli bank notes have brail on them so the blind can identify them.
- Each of Israel’s holy sites is administered by its own religious authority, while protection against desecration and trespassing as well as free access are guaranteed by law.